Skip to main content

Stake Women's Conference: Daughters of Light

At the end of April, our stake had a women's conference. A couple months before the event, I was asked to portray one of the women from the scriptures: Hannah. I was told to prepare a 3-5 minute talk about her from her point of view. It needed to include the lines, "I offer you the gift of [gospel principle]..." and "My prayer for you from the past is..."

I put a lot of thought into my talk (read it here) and came away learning a lot not only about Hannah, but also about how her story applies to me. I was again reminded how really studying scripture stories in depth can lead to a deeper understanding of the people and lessons involved.

The day of the event, all the women participating in the pageant arrived early to get into costume and run through our entrance. The place was decorated beautifully!


Each table was assigned a tribe of Israel
The stake Relief Society president wanted us to really get into character and have fun. She was hoping we would dance during our procession into the hall. I was the only one besides her who did. I tried finding a musical instrument to use, but there were none. At the last minute, I thought to grab an extra scarf and twirled it and myself around. She later thanked me for dancing.

The sisters who spoke before me were inspiring and brought the Spirit in. I was nervous, which is funny because I love public speaking, but this was more akin to acting. I had memorized my part, though there were printed copies we could read from. When I had practiced at home and in the car, I always got emotional. Yet when performance time came, I was all smiles. I felt as if I had ruined the spiritual streak with my unemotional delivery. The women after me were also emotional, though the ones after them were more lighthearted. However, the audience enjoyed when I held up my toddler's church sweater as a prop; I think they thought I made it, just as Hannah made Samuel's coats!

After my part, we had a musical activity. The stake president's wife played her guitar and taught us "Hava Nagila." The RS president threw in some simple dance moves, of course. It was fun.


After the second set of sisters, another woman and I sang "His Plan for You." When I was first asked to sing, I thought there would be multiple numbers. I realized I was wrong once I got there and read the program. The only other number was by a professional harpist/singer. I was confused why I was asked to sing a duet when there are many talented sopranos in the stake! I was afraid the audience would be expecting something spectacular. I have never taken a singing lesson in my life. I'm a self-taught alto who inherited the Latin voice range instead of the Italian one. We sang our best, though, and I was overall happy with it.

After the stake RS presidency's turn, the stake president spoke and shared this talk on womanhood by Elder Ballard. Then, we said our scripture name one last time into the mic and walked back the way we came. Hors d'oeuvres and honey-themed desserts followed the closing remarks.

I was very impressed with the writing talent in our stake. Those sisters did an astounding job capturing and representing the thoughts and feelings of the courageous women from the scriptures: Eve, Sarah, Ruth, Rachel, Esther, Hannah, Mary Magdalene, Mary and Elizabeth, Tabitha, Sariah, King Lamoni's wife, Emma Smith, plus pioneer women and all the other nameless women whose righteous acts we honor. I was so grateful and blessed to have been a part of this inspired program.

Sharing Time: Who is your favorite woman from the scriptures?

Comments

DAD said…
cute photos and great conference!

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...