Skip to main content

I Am Hannah

lds.org
This was the part I wrote for my role in the pageant for our stake women's conference on women from the scriptures and Church history. 

I am Hannah, mother of the prophet Samuel, from the Old Testament. I was in a polygamous marriage, and as if that wasn’t hard enough, my husband’s other wife, Peninnah, could have children, but I could not. Peninnah would tease me for being infertile because she was jealous that our husband loved me more than he loved her.

Every year we went to the temple. One year, Peninnah was so cruel, I wept bitterly and couldn't eat. My husband tried consoling me by asking, “Am I not better to thee than ten sons?” Of course he was a good husband to me, but the love a woman has for her husband and the love she has for her children are not quite the same, and I wanted to experience that motherly love more than anything.

I finally couldn’t take it anymore. I went to the temple alone and poured out my soul in prayer and tears. I vowed to God that if He would give me a son, I would dedicate my son’s life to the Lord. Eli, the temple priest, told me to go in peace and blessed me that God would answer my prayer. The peace and faith I felt were so strong that I knew the Lord would. My bitterness left, and my appetite returned. [After I spoke, it hit me that perhaps she had been fasting.]

After one last trip to the temple, we went home. That very same night I conceived! Although for years I had cried unto God for this blessing, it wasn’t until I had a humble heart and was willing to sacrifice the very thing I wanted that the Lord gave me what I desired—and so quickly.

After Samuel was born, I wanted to wait until he was weaned before taking him to his new home. I cherished this precious time with him, holding him and nourishing him. Once he was old enough, I kept my promise and took him to the temple to stay. Every year when we visited, I would bring him a coat I made.

It was hard letting him go and not being the one to raise him, but I sang in joy and praise to show my gratitude. The Lord blessed me even further for my sacrifice. He gave me three more sons and two daughters! And Samuel grew to be a great and faithful prophet who restored order and worship to our people and counseled kings.

Because of my experience, I offer you the gift of grace, the meaning of my name. It was through the Lord’s grace from His atoning sacrifice that I was able to make and keep my covenant with God, to trust in His timing and love, to no longer be sad, to forgive Peninnah, to endure life without my firstborn, and to know Samuel would be mine again someday.

My prayer for you from the past is that you rely on the grace of Jesus Christ to help and strengthen you in times of trial. Grace isn’t meant just for repentance. You can access this divine power at all times for all needs, whether it be comfort, increased faith, a softened heart, or a weakness made strong. If you continually apply His grace, then you will be able to do whatever He asks of you, and you will receive every blessing He has promised you.

Discussion: What else can we learn from Hannah's story?

Comments

DAD said…
i love the hannah story the way you told it- great job !

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...