Skip to main content

He's Our Bishop

Busy as a man can be,
He's our bishop.
He finds time to talk to me;
He's our bishop.
Always kindly words he'll say
To the children every day.
Let us help him every way;
He's our bishop.

Cheerful as he serves the Lord,
He's our bishop.
He's the father of our ward;
He's our bishop.
He helps us to do the right
In our Heavenly Father's sight.
We love him with all our might;
He's our bishop.


I love my bishop. I can think of only a couple bishops I did not like, and that's because I didn't understand the true nature of bishops at the time, and so I feared them. When I was about 17, I learned to appreciate them. Bishops are not principals or policemen (though maybe some are by profession). Bishops are Christ-like and fatherly: they love us unconditionally and want us to be happy; they are sweet and understanding. Bishops help us to repent, grow in the gospel, be spiritually strong, and find comfort and peace.

If you need to confess something, as embarrassing as it may be, you need not fear your bishop's reaction. And you can talk to your bishop about anything, not just about sins. Bishops give good counsel, priesthood blessings, listening ears, and love--lots of love. I advise you to talk to your bishop, get to know him better, and establish a relationship with him. He really does love you. As overwhelmed and busy as he is, he will always find time for you and help you.

Sharing Time: What good memories do you have of one of your bishops?

Photo of H. David Burton, Presiding Bishop, from ldschurchnews.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, bishops are wonderful!
Mom
Anonymous said…
bishop hunter ,bishop kuch, bishop moore, bishop reuel, bishop wride, bishop richardson, bishop jachens, bishop stay,bishop mcmaster,bishop king, bishop eldredge,bishop nadel, bishop stevenson,and 2 other bishops i can't recall- all were and are great men and also most are still my friends!

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...