Skip to main content

Saturday's Warriors

As corny and somewhat doctrinally incorrect the play Saturday's Warrior is, the main song is truly inspiring:



Who are these children coming down, coming down,
Like gentle rain through darkened skies,
With glory trailing from their feet as they go
And endless promise in their eyes?

Who are these young ones growing tall, growing strong,
Like silver trees against the storm,
Who will not bend with the wind or the change,
But stand to fight the world alone?

These are the few, the warriors saved for Saturday,
To come the last day of the world.
These are they on Saturday.
These are the strong, the warriors rising in their might
To win the battle raging in the hearts of men on Saturday.

Strangers from a realm of light who have forgotten all
The memory of their former life, the purpose of their call.
And so they must learn why they're here and who they really are.
They must learn why they're here and who they are!

These are the few, the warriors saved for Saturday,
To come the last day of the world.
These are they on Saturday.
These are the strong, the warriors rising in their might
To win the battle raging in the hearts of men on Saturday.

In their sunlight armor they march forth to conquer all.
And with their swords ablaze with fire watch the darkness fall.
But first they must learn why they're here and who they really are.
They must learn why they're here and who they are!

These are the few, the warriors saved for Saturday,
To come the last day of the world.
These are they on Saturday.
These are the strong, the warriors rising in their might
To win the battle raging in the hearts of men on Saturday.

These are they
Who come forth on Saturday,
Saturday, Saturday!

It reiterates what prophets have said about our generation. "I regard you as the finest generation in the history of the Church," proclaimed President Hinckley. "Each time I have stood before such a group, there has come into my mind the great and prophetic statement made by Peter of old. Said he: 'Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.' (1 Pet. 2:9.)

"I know of no other statement which more aptly describes you, nor which sets before you a higher ideal by which to shape and guide your lives."

The same goes for past generations, not just ours, as noted by Elder John M. Madsen: "President Joseph Fielding Smith declared: 'Our young people … are the nobility of heaven, a choice and chosen generation who have a divine destiny. Their spirits have been reserved to come forth in this day when the gospel is on the earth, and when the Lord needs valiant servants to carry on his great latter-day work.'

"President Spencer W. Kimball declared, 'We are rearing a royal generation … who have special things to do.'"

All of us in this last dispensation--"Saturday"--were reserved for this time because we are great warriors needed to fight for the Lord before He returns. Unfortunately, not everyone has joined His army. Therefore, it is imperative that they "learn why they're here and who they really are." This responsibility is ours, as parents, as friends, as missionaries. The change in the world would be magnificent if every child of God knew of his or her divinity and acted upon that knowledge. Just think: Hitler used to be an innocent baby straight from heaven. Can you imagine what kind of leader he could have been if he had remembered his divinity and not allowed evil to enter his heart?

Let us all remember that we are children of God, armed with great power and strength to defeat Satan. Let us live up to our potential as Saturday's warriors and fight for the Lord!

Challenge: Remember who you are and why you're here and help others remember.

Comments

Anonymous said…
in our humble way,humble way now,humble way,humble way...DAD
Fraley RW said…
Do you know a Zebedia that played in Sat. Warriors? Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...