Skip to main content

"The Spirit of God like a Fire Is Burning"

My previous post was about the missionary work I started with my neighbor. Today she and her son went to church with us. She had met a couple other people in the ward previously at my house too, and we sat with one of them.

I explained to her about the sacrament and told her she was welcome to bear her testimony if she felt impressed to do so. When testimony meeting started, I was nervous. I knew I was going to go up, but I didn't know when and I had no idea what I wanted to say. I usually only go up because I have something specific to share. After a few people went, my neighbor whispered to me, "I'm going up!" I told her I would too. I went first and bore my testimony of the Church, Book of Mormon, keeping the commandments, and President Monson. She then followed, asking me to stay up with her. She shared the story I shared with you about our conversations and how she has seen God in her life. She ended pleading with the members to open their mouths and share the gospel. I was very impressed with her courage (and a little embarrassed to be up there while she was talking about me in front of the whole ward!). More people shared their testimonies, one of which particularly touched her. It was such a powerful testimony meeting. I have felt the Spirit before in testimony meetings, but not so intensely and collectively as today. It was in the whole room, not just in my heart. I felt the value of and connection between each testimony. As the hymn proclaims, "The Spirit of God like a fire [was] burning."

At the end of the meeting, many people welcomed her and thanked her for her testimony, and she talked to the sister who moved her. When she realized she had more time than she thought, she decided to stay for Sunday School. I asked the other ward member she knew to stay with her while I took her son to Primary and got some stuff. Another brother suggested she go to Gospel Essentials, and that is where I met up with her and our friend. The teacher, a recently returned missionary, taught about repentance. My neighbor was attentive and took notes and even asked for a copy of the Gospel Principles book.

They could not stay for the last hour, but she said she would like to return, especially since the time allows for her to make the first two meetings before her church begins. I did ask her to come all three hours just one Sunday in the future so her son could be with me in Primary Sharing/Singing Time and she could go to the women's meeting. I hope she eventually will want to stay the whole time at our church every week! Pray for all of us!

Challenge: As my neighbor asked, open your mouth and share the gospel!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's a pretty big step to come, even on a day you are attending another church. I know she will be impressed by the spirit to return. We have the full knowledge of the gospel and I'm sure she will see and feel that! Good missionary work!
DAD said…
you are so terrific and you make a great witness for her

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...