Skip to main content

"How Great Shall Be Your Joy"

Sometimes I still struggle with the fact that I did not get to serve a mission, especially since the age has been lowered and sister missionaries now are more common and viewed more positively. When I start feeling jealous or inferior, I remind myself that I don't need a name tag to be a missionary and that the emphasis is on members being the fishers now. But how to start? High school presented plenty of opportunities to share and defend the gospel, and I even gave a Book of Mormon to a friend. Then while attending BYU and living in Mesa/Gilbert, it was harder to find and interact with nonmembers. But now here in Phoenix, the field is white and ready to harvest!

A couple weeks ago I finally met my downstairs neighbors, a mom and her 10-year-old son from the Chicago area. We've been hanging out ever since. Monday evening they were over here and we got talking about what Mormons believe. It led to me giving the mom a Book of Mormon and discussing the gospel until 9:30 p.m. She shared that she felt peace at that moment and the Spirit in our home every time she comes. She was so excited, and I was excited that she was excited. She said she felt like this is what she was missing in her life.

I could not believe my ears! Although my close friends have always been respectful of my beliefs and willing to listen, and the friend I gave the Book of Mormon to accepted it, I have never received the kind of response my neighbor displayed. I was so ecstatic and nervous--and lost at times because I felt so out of practice. She reignited the fire within me. Even before this golden missionary moment, her closeness to the Spirit and desire to follow God's will and trust Him completely inspired me to work more on my own spirituality and relationship with Christ.

Yesterday we discussed the Atonement. My simple explanation taken from Alma 7:11-13 gave her the comforting answers she was looking for. I told her about fast and testimony meetings and she asked if she could come to the next one. I asked her if she wanted to meet with the missionaries and she agreed, though she doesn't understand why it's necessary since she said I was doing just fine teaching her. She thanked me for giving her this great treasure (a "nugget" in her own words).

Today she shared with me that she told her out-of-state boyfriend about what happened and he reacted positively. I was afraid he would tell her to stop talking to me or something, but apparently, before now, neither had heard anything about Mormons beyond the name!

I feel like a real missionary. I am so excited and happy, as described in D&C 18:15. I wonder if this is how the missionaries feel when they teach investigators and if the feeling wears off as time goes on or gets more intense. I am so happy to be part of this woman's spiritual journey, even if it doesn't lead to baptism. She has proven to be a blessing in my life as well. We already have a great friendship!

Challenge: Don't let fear or insecurity keep you from sharing the most precious gift you can offer Heavenly Father's children. You don't have to be a formal missionary to be an instrument in the Lord's hands!

Comments

DAD said…
you are a missionary
Anonymous said…
Dear Cheski,
I like the article you posted about missionary work and how we need to save peoples' lives. The phrase "the field is white and ready to harvest" reminds me of how important missionary work is, and that we need to do it before it is too late. There are people ready to hear and accept the gospel, but are waiting diligently for us to be "fishers of men", or to grab them from the darkest abyss. You are always a good example to me and I admire you very much.
Love,
Constance

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Grail

lds.org Ever wonder how the story of the Holy Grail began? Why people believed there was a cup from which they could drink and live forever? I did, and here is the answer. One day when Jesus was teaching the people, He said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. . . . I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and that bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. ( John 6:47, 51-54 ) The Jews' response shows they did not understand what Jesus meant. Then, before Jesus was crucified, He dined

Family Home Evening for Babies

ldsclipart.com Family home evening can sometimes be a challenge because we don't know what to do. This is especially true for those of us with only a baby. There are plenty of ideas for single members, couples, and families, but I have yet to find good suggestions for planning a family home evening lesson for a baby (not yet in Nursery). So I compiled my own list: Read gospel-related board books. They are short and introduce common scripture stories in a very simple manner. Read the scriptures. Elder Bednar said , "Youth of all ages, even infants, can and do respond to the distinctive spirit of the Book of Mormon. Children may not understand all of the words and stories, but they certainly can feel the 'familiar spirit' described by Isaiah ( Isaiah 29:4 ; see also 2 Nephi 26:16 )." Sing Primary songs together. There is no better way to invite the Spirit, teach basic gospel principles, and prepare your baby for Nursery and Primary. Sing inte

"Far above Rubies"

Certain TV shows and previews reminded me of a quote from Sister Margaret Nagauld : "Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity." We need to be classy women--women with manners, discipline, integrity, virtue, sincerity, and charity. Sister Nagauld isn't the only one to have said this: 1. "It is, unfortunately, all too easy to illustrate the confusion and distortion of womanhood in contemporary society. Immodest, immoral, intemperate women jam the airwaves, monopolize magazines, and slink across movie screens—all while being celebrated by the world