Skip to main content

April 2013 General Conference Highlights

Highlights from the 183rd Semiannual General Conference in April 2013:

*I was in awe how dramatic the increase in missionaries was due to the age decrease announced last conference. When the bar was raised several years ago, the numbers slightly dropped and remained stagnant all these years. But now we went up 10,000 in less than six months (since those numbers were from the 2012 report, there are probably a few thousand more by now)!

*In accordance with the above, President Monson asked us all to donate to the General Mission Fund. And Elder Nelson noted that many schools will grant students an 18–30-month deferral to serve a mission.

*Two new temples were announced: Cedar City, Utah, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

*There is a new Young Women Presidency: Sister Bonnie Lee Green Oscarson as president; Sister Carol Louise Foley McConkie, first counselor; and Sister Evelyn Neill Foote Marriott, second counselor.

*For all of you parents who have little hope for your mischievous boys, listen to President Monson's talk from the Sunday morning session. Just goes to show that even prophets were once disobedient little boys who do dumb things!

Favorite talks:

*Sister Elaine S. Dalton on acting well our parts
*President Thomas S. Monson on obedience
*Elder Jeffrey R. Holland on faith and belief (he is always a favorite!)
*Elder Enrique R. Falabella on establishing a righteous home

Favorite quotes:

"Faith is a real power, not just a strong belief . . . there are few things more powerful." ~President Boyd K. Packer

Tomato seed analogy shared by Elder M. Russell Ballard

"Just begin." ~Music & the Spoken Word (talking about tackling large obstacles)

"Paint a missionary tag on your heart." ~Elder Neil L. Andersen

"The words we speak to children should reflect the love Heavenly Father has for His son, Jesus Christ, and the love He has for us." ~Sister Rosemary M. Wixom

Sharing Time: What were your favorite talks and quotes from General Conference?

Comments

DAD said…
each one is the best we ever saw

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...