Skip to main content

"This Is My Sacred Duty"

One Sunday, my husband was teaching the young men a lesson on preparing for their missions. One young man replied, "I don't need to learn that yet. I have a few years before I go on a mission."

Too many youth have that terribly wrong perception. Preparation for a mission--most essentially, the temple--is a lifelong pursuit. It starts at childhood, not the year (or month for most women) before entering the temple.

Two Primary songs emphasize this point:

While I am in my early years,
I'll prepare most carefully,
So I can marry in God's temple for eternity.

("Families Can Be Together Forever," Children's Songbook, p. 188)

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday . . .
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

("I Love to See the Temple," Children's Songbook, p. 95)

"Someday" comes sooner than you think. And it's hard to break years of bad habits and repent of years of sins in just a few months.

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God," Amulek warned us (Alma 34:32). We prepare to meet God by receiving and keeping sacred temple covenants. And we prepare for that right now. The only change we should have to make upon receiving our endowments is the underclothing we wear--not our language, not our clothes, not any Church standards we should already be keeping. The commandments apply to all members, whether or not they have gone through the temple.

If we already are endowed, we still need to prepare every time we go to the temple or renew our recommend, and we are to remember and honor our covenants every day. The temple isn't a destination we arrive at but a vital pit stop we go to continually for spiritual fuel and direction on the journey back to our Heavenly Father.

As a parent, the moment a baby is born, it is our responsibility to set that child on the right track to the temple. We should be examples to our children of attending the temple regularly, keeping our covenants, treating our garments respectfully, and having high standards as a family, especially of modesty.

President Kimball advised, “It would be a fine thing if … parents would have in every bedroom in their house a picture of the temple so [their children] from the time [they are] infant[s] could look at the picture every day [until] it becomes a part of [their lives]. When [they reach] the age that [they need] to make [the] very important decision [concerning going to the temple], it will have already been made” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball, 1982, 301).

Challenge: Prepare yourself and your children to make and keep sacred covenants.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Such a very true point. I would also say, that just as college we should talk about when a child goes to the temple and not if. Set the expectation as one would college, a mission, etc. When you go to the temple.....

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...