Skip to main content

Not-So-Obvious Addictions

When we think of addiction, we think of drugs, alcohol, pornography, and gambling. While these addictions may be the most severe and evil, they are not the only ones that can control our lives. Elder M. Russell Ballard said in Conference of October 2010, "Remember, brothers and sisters, any kind of addiction is to surrender to something, thus relinquishing agency and becoming dependent. Thus, video-gaming and texting on cell phones need to be added to the list." These activities are only two on a long list of not-so-obvious addictions:
  • Facebook, blogs, and any other online activity that monopolizes your time
  • Work
  • Shopping
  • Food
  • Exercise and dieting
  • TV and movies
  • Dating and romance
  • Games on your phone, iPod, tablet, or computer
  • Music
Anything can become an addiction if it takes over your time and willpower; it does not have to be overtly sinful, like drugs. Remember, there is opposition in all things, meaning everything can be good or evil depending on how you use it. Be aware of Satan's sneaky traps to get you to turn something harmless into something harmful.

Challenge: Assess your activities to see if there are any hidden addictions in your life and get rid of them!

Comments

Anonymous said…
facebook and internet- music and ready mormonlight and nishimono letter- and food- my addictions-DAD
Amy said…
While alcohol and drug addiction are more severe and can dramatically effect ones health, addictions to things like the internet, shopping, work, etc should not be ignored. They are just as serious addictions. I personally was addicted to shopping and because of this I accumulated a lot of debt. I have since learned to manage my addiction. The website http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-cs offers great advice for controlling spending. I have slowly begun to pay off my credit card debt. I guess my point is that even though it may not seem like that big of a problem because it is not a heavy addiction like drugs, you should still seek help for your addiction.

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...