Skip to main content

The Creation of Life

Being pregnant has made me ponder the creation of life. It's a little mind-boggling to think that another human being is growing inside my body, that somehow my body and the baby's body know how to do this. I wonder which spirit from heaven I will give birth to and raise. My endless thinking about this baby has helped me discover much symbolism in the creation of life:
  • Pregnancy involves the "magic numbers" of the gospel: 40 weeks (40 days/nights of the flood, 40 days of Jesus fasting in the desert, 40 years of the Israelites wandering in the wilderness), 3 trimesters (Christ's resurrection on the third day, 3 members of the Godhead and thus 3 members in all auxiliary presidencies, Moroni's 3 visits to Joseph Smith in one night, Peter's 3 denials of Christ, etc.).

  • As shared in a seminary video, new life requires blood, water, and a spirit. Also, new spiritual life requires blood (the Atonement), water (baptism), and a spirit (the Holy Ghost).

  • Furthermore, the creation of life relies on the body, assistance, protection, and nurture of the mother, who must suffer pain in the process, just as spiritual rebirth relies on the body, assistance, protection, and nurture of Christ, who suffered the ultimate pain through the Atonement. This partnership forms a strong bond of love in both people.

  • Pregnancy awakens and develops Christlike qualities--unconditional love, nurture, patience, joy, peace--in both women and men, because we are experiencing the godly power of creation. Parenting continues to develop these and other attributes.

Discussion: How else is pregnancy symbolic of the gospel?

Comments

Anonymous said…
the joys of having you come into our lives and our love will live with me forever. I cannot think of a higher moment of happiness when I recall how I first held you and kissed you softly. how beautiful you were and are and how wonderful a mom and what a great baby you will have
DAD
Anonymous said…
What Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ did for us is a miracle. So is the birth of a child.
Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Grail

lds.org Ever wonder how the story of the Holy Grail began? Why people believed there was a cup from which they could drink and live forever? I did, and here is the answer. One day when Jesus was teaching the people, He said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. . . . I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and that bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. ( John 6:47, 51-54 ) The Jews' response shows they did not understand what Jesus meant. Then, before Jesus was crucified, He dined

Family Home Evening for Babies

ldsclipart.com Family home evening can sometimes be a challenge because we don't know what to do. This is especially true for those of us with only a baby. There are plenty of ideas for single members, couples, and families, but I have yet to find good suggestions for planning a family home evening lesson for a baby (not yet in Nursery). So I compiled my own list: Read gospel-related board books. They are short and introduce common scripture stories in a very simple manner. Read the scriptures. Elder Bednar said , "Youth of all ages, even infants, can and do respond to the distinctive spirit of the Book of Mormon. Children may not understand all of the words and stories, but they certainly can feel the 'familiar spirit' described by Isaiah ( Isaiah 29:4 ; see also 2 Nephi 26:16 )." Sing Primary songs together. There is no better way to invite the Spirit, teach basic gospel principles, and prepare your baby for Nursery and Primary. Sing inte

"Far above Rubies"

Certain TV shows and previews reminded me of a quote from Sister Margaret Nagauld : "Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity." We need to be classy women--women with manners, discipline, integrity, virtue, sincerity, and charity. Sister Nagauld isn't the only one to have said this: 1. "It is, unfortunately, all too easy to illustrate the confusion and distortion of womanhood in contemporary society. Immodest, immoral, intemperate women jam the airwaves, monopolize magazines, and slink across movie screens—all while being celebrated by the world