Skip to main content

Ten Ways to Prepare for General Conference

This weekend is the 179th Semiannual General Conference of the Church. Saints all over the world will hear the words of the prophet and apostles. It will be a weekend filled with enlightenment, peace, encouragement, inspiration, growth, love, and joy. What a wonderful event to look forward to! We cannot afford to miss it, so we must prepare.
  1. Find out what time it will be aired in your area (check at lds.org). Decide where you will watch or listen to it: at home, at a friend’s home, at the stake center, on the computer, on the radio.

  2. Try to get off work or schedule work earlier or later so that you can watch both sessions (or at least one session) of General Conference.

  3. If you must travel, coordinate all rides and times and make sure your car has gas. If you will watch General Conference live, make sure you have tickets and leave early enough to park and be seated on time.

  4. Finish all housework and homework before the weekend to avoid other obligations that may distract you from listening to the beautiful words and music.

  5. Pray that you will hear answers to problems or questions you have. The purpose of General Conference is to strengthen, nourish, comfort, and help us.

  6. Listen to, watch, and read uplifting things during this week to keep the Spirit close so that you can receive answers and promptings.

  7. Get enough sleep the night before so that you will be attentive. Set your alarm to ensure you wake up on time to watch the morning sessions.

  8. Have a journal or notebook ready to take notes on answers, thoughts, feelings, and goals. If applicable, also have activities and paper ready for your children.

  9. Prepare food ahead of time and try not to eat during the session in order to give your full attention to the words of our Church leaders.

  10. Keep the Spirit and maintain reverence in between Conference sessions and preferably for the whole weekend.

I hope your General Conference weekend is amazing. Come back next week to share your favorite talks, what you learned, and how you felt.

Challenge: Follow these steps to prepare for and get the most out of General Conference.

Photo from LDS church news.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I appreciate your efforts in running these comments and discussions- I love conference and I miss you drawing and writing notes as a little girl during the sessions- Love Dad
Anonymous said…
Awesome.
I look forward to conference every year and will be sure to take necessary preparations as listed!
Thx
Anonymous said…
Yes, conference was wonderful. I can't wait to read all the talks in the November Ensign magazine.
Love you lots,
Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...