Skip to main content

"Go, and Sin No More"

There are many examples throughout the scriptures of people experiencing a change of heart and completely repenting of their sins. Others show loyalty to God in the face of evil. The most amazing thing about these people is their attitude toward sin:
  • Joseph: “How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” (Genesis 39:9)

  • Christ: “He suffered temptations but gave no heed unto them.” (D&C 20:22)

  • Nephi: “Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?” (2 Nephi 4:31)

  • Jacob: “Behold, my soul abhorreth sin, and my heart delighteth in righteousness” (2 Nephi 9:49)

  • King Benjamin’s people: “the Spirit . . . has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.” (Mosiah 5:2)

  • High priests: “they . . . could not look upon sin save it were with abhorrence” (Alma 13:12)

  • King Lamoni’s people: “their hearts had been changed; that they had no more desire to do evil” (Alma 19:33)

  • King Lamoni’s father: “Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast . . . I will give away all my sins to know thee” (Alma 22:15, 18)

  • Captain Moroni: “Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.” (Alma 48:17)

  • Three Nephites: “there was a change wrought upon them, insomuch that Satan could have no power over them, that he could not tempt them” (3 Nephi 28:39)
The scriptures also share much wise counsel concerning sin:
  • King Solomon: “My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.” (Proverbs 1:10)

  • Paul: “we should not serve sin” (Romans 6:6); “the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23); “God . . . will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

  • Christ: “go, and sin no more” (John 8:11); “entangle not yourselves in sin” (D&C 88:86)

  • Lehi: “arise from the dust, my sons, and be men . . . put on the armor of righteousness. Shake off the chains with which ye are bound” (2 Nephi 1: 21, 23)

  • Jacob: “Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal” (2 Nephi 9:39); “turn away from your sins; shake off the chains of him that would bind you fast” (2 Nephi 9:45); “let us remember him, and lay aside our sins” (2 Nephi 10:20)

  • Amulek: “the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations” (Alma 11:23)

  • Alma: “wickedness never was happiness”(Alma 41:10)
Challenge: Pick a scripture that strikes you as a powerful reminder to avoid sin, withstand temptation, and repent. Write it down and put it somewhere you will see it often. Another option is to frequently read 2 Nephi 4.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wonderful time consuming thoughtful thank you- Why am I so blessed as to deserve a daughter so good as you
DAD
Lauren said…
I think of all the examples that are in your list, I like (though 'like' doesn't seem like the right word to use) the examples dealing with King Lamoni (the converted Lamanites in general). While men like Moroni are wonderful examples that we all should try to emulate, I feel more connected to King Lamoni's people because I, like them, have experienced sin in my life, and have changed. Their story has always been a favorite of mine because of that fact.
Anonymous said…
Those who resisted the Spirit of God, would be liable to be led into temptation, and then the association of heaven would be withdrawn from those who refused to be made partakers of such great glory. God would not exert any compulsory means, and the devil could not.
Joseph Smith
dvortex said…
Nice, you helped me to find a scripture I was looking for, the "no more desire to do evil" one. Nice to find other people out there who are members, I'm just out here with a small branch.

Popular posts from this blog

Preach by the Spirit

ldsclipart.com I'm a writer, editor, and linguist. The words I choose and how I organize them are very important to me. That is why I prefer expressing myself through writing over any other method. I also enjoy public speaking because sharing my insights is exciting. I prepare my speeches, talks, and lessons in advance so I know exactly what I'm going to say. Church talks I always write out word for word to ensure I don't forget anything and so it's coherent and cohesive. As a teen, I would practice my talks until I practically had them memorized. Due to the increased focus on making the Sabbath a delight and sacrament meeting more spiritually fulfilling, our branch president told us he wanted us to have only an outline for our talks and to lean on the Spirit for guidance. Only once have I ever used just an outline. It was September 2006 in my college ward for a talk about how to prepare for general conference, a topic easy to expound with just notes. Two week...

How to Know if the Book of Mormon Is True

photo from lds.org A previous set of elders put me on the 12-week course for new missionaries. Last night as I was finishing up the week on revelation through the Book of Mormon, I came upon this study activity: Read Moroni 10:3-5 and discuss how these verses show what an investigator must do to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Discuss the meaning and importance of real intent and how to help investigators develop real intent. I considered skipping it since I had read that scripture passage countless times, especially with studying Preach My Gospel , and because the discussion seemed to focus on real intent, which had been covered thoroughly in that week's study. But I decided to humor myself and do it anyway. And what I learned surprised me. There are actually four steps an investigator must complete before asking God with real intent and receiving an answer: Read the Book of Mormon. How can we know if something is true if we haven't even read it? We have to b...

Music and Heaven

The Sunbeam lesson I taught today was "Music Makes Me Happy." Whether it be instrumental or voice, music can calm fear, brighten sorrow, and dispel anger, and it serves as a way to praise and pray to Heavenly Father. "There is no music in hell," said Brigham Young, "for all good music belongs to heaven." He also said, "If we could hear the music there is in heaven, it would overwhelm us mortals." We may not yet be able to hear heaven's music, but "never, indeed, do we feel so near heaven as when listening to the performance of some grand anthem, in which the angels themselves might fitly take their parts" (John Taylor). Good music and grand anthems take form in Church-related and classical music. "If you do not have a taste for it [classical music], listen to it thoughtfully," counseled President Hinckley. "If you do not like it the first time, listen to it again and keep listening. It will be something like going to ...